Wednesday 7 May 2008

My current squeeze

Tuesday evening is music night, if I can be arsed to go, and last night I had my inhibitions beaten down by a broad-shouldered Shiraz, so I launched forth into my favourite chanson, 'Will the Circle be Unbroken?' with a fair degree of success.

It put me in mind of the wonderful version I saw on the seminal Transatlantic Sessions which they put on the telly in the late 90s, and with the wonders of Youtube, it has been reinstated as my absolute favourite squeeze. Lineups don't get much better than this, Michelle Wright, Iris Dement and that beautiful creature from Altan with the unpronounceable name, backed by Aly Bain, Jay Ungar, Jerry Douglas, Donnal Lunny and the absolute god of the piano accordion (and, ahem, acquaintance of mine.....)Phil Cunningham.

This is just the best.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know your forth form teacher....have you seen his website?

http://www.davidtrenow.co.uk/

I'm sure he'll be glad to know you still think about him

Greg Dunn said...

Thank you, anonymous, please pass my best regards on to the good man. I have visited the website and was reminded that Mr Trenow (sorry, I still can't refer to a teacher using their Christian name!)was in his Green Man period when I was under his tutelage.

Glad he's still being creative. I also remember reading a write-up of an art or sculpture exhibition in the Essex County Standard that contained the withering line 'David Trenow was present and voluble!', a line I have plagiarised several times since. Happy days.

Anonymous said...

Still think that 'never be the sun' speaks to us